The board-certified dermatologists at NYC Health + Hospitals/South Brooklyn Health provide comprehensive diagnosis and care for skin disorders, including hair and nail conditions. Dermatological problems can exist on their own or can be related to other diseases or treatments a patient is receiving. At our dermatologist clinic, expert doctors collaborate with other physicians and provide coordinated care for patients with multiple related conditions.
Dermatological symptoms can appear suddenly and may change over time. It is important for patients to be aware of what their skin typically looks and feels like so they can notice changes that may require the care of a physician. Symptoms of various skin conditions can include itching, burning, and pain, as well as painless, but noticeable changes to the appearance of skin.
Our services include treatment for:
- Acne: Acne is caused by excess oil, clogged hair follicles, bacteria, and inflammation. The condition can be common in adolescence and during other periods of change or stress. Acne can often be managed by following at-home skincare routines using over-the-counter products. Consistent, pervasive, or painful acne can be treated by a doctor.
- Alopecia: Alopecia is another word for hair loss and can affect a patient’s scalp and/or other parts of the body. The condition can be temporary or permanent and be caused by many factors.
- Eczema: Eczema is also referred to as atopic dermatitis and causes the skin to become inflamed, appearing and feeling dry and itchy. Eczema is a chronic condition that often appears in children but can also be experienced by adults. There are many treatments available that can provide relief during flare–ups of the condition.
- Oncodermatology: Cancer treatments, including radiation and chemotherapy, can cause or exacerbate existing uncomfortable or painful skin conditions. Our board-certified dermatologists can work with you and your oncologist to ensure effective treatment of the skin conditions so that you can continue cancer treatment with the least skin discomfort possible.
- Psoriasis and Rheumatology-related Dermatological Conditions: A skin condition thought to be caused by a person’s immune system attacking healthy skin cells (autoimmune), causing patches of thick, itchy, dry skin. There are many treatment options, including creams and ointments. At South Brooklyn Health, we also provide light therapy, exposing skin to an artificial ultraviolet light source to help reduce psoriasis. Other rheumatological diagnoses that can cause skin conditions include lupus, sclerosis, and vasculitis.
- Rosacea: An inflammatory skin condition that causes persistently red skin and visible blood vessels, usually on the nose and/or cheeks.
- Scarring and Other Cosmetic Dermatological Problems: Skin conditions, including acne scars, injury scars, sweating disorders, abnormal pigmentation, rosacea, and other skin marks may benefit from cosmetic treatments. Our cosmetic dermatologists can provide a variety of treatments to reduce or eliminate cosmetic skin problems, including laser and light-based procedures.
- Skin Cancer: Skin cancer and precancerous lesions can take many forms and are often noticed by a patient due to changes in the skin, including new or changed moles or scaly patches of skin. Diagnosis and treatment of skin cancer are important. If left untreated, skin cancer can spread to other parts of the body. At South Brooklyn Health, our board-certified dermatologists also provide treatment for Actinic Keratosis (precancerous lesions), help patients monitor moles, and conduct Mohs surgery, a cutting-edge technique that is minimally invasive and can remove multiple types of skin cancer.
Skin conditions can be bothersome and painful and negatively impact your quality of life. Allow our team of expert physicians to provide you with the best dermatologic care possible.
For more information about Dermatology or to schedule an appointment, please contact 1-844-692-4692.