In 1955, the NYC Department of Hospitals opened a new, specialized care facility and teaching hospital situated on a lovely, campus-like setting in the northeast Bronx. Called the Bronx Municipal Hospital Center, it included an 898-bed facility for acute care (Jacobi Hospital) and an adjacent 500-bed hospital for chronic tuberculosis care (Van Etten Hospital). From early on, accomplishments and innovations were many:
NYC Health + Hospitals/Jacobi developed an innovative method of hyperalimentation for burn patients. This method was subsequently adopted by burn centers worldwide.
Jacobi physicians were the first to use CO2 lasers for burn treatment.
Jacobi was one of the first burn centers to use advanced burn care products like artificial skin.
Jacobi surgeons performed the world’s first successful clinical coronary artery bypass.
Jacobi surgeons were the first in the U.S. to use mechanical staples.
Jacobi established the first National Institutes of Health (NIH) Clinical Research Center in the country for clinical injury.
Jacobi obstetricians used a new germ-free isolator to deliver the world’s first germ-free baby.
Jacobi anesthesiologists developed the Gertie Marx Spinal Needle, still used today for epidural block.
Jacobi founded the first Emergency Medical residency program in New York City. It remains one of the most prestigious training programs in the country.
Founded New York City’s first hospital-based paramedic training program.
To this day, Jacobi enjoys a national reputation as a respected leader in emergency medicine, trauma surgery, burn care, and neonatal care.