The volunteers at NYC Health + Hospitals/Elmhurst are community residents who work with the hospital staff in providing not only quality health care, but a humane and compassionate atmosphere of care. They are men and women who are students, working adults, and active seniors. They are our dynamic and enthusiastic volunteer corps.
Volunteer service is important to our hospital and our community. Volunteers unselfishly offer time, talents, and skills to assist our patients. Whether they help in an office, a clinic, patient transport, or a patient unit, volunteers contribute to the overall care of the patients and to the delivery of quality health care services at NYC Health + Hospitals/Elmhurst.
Volunteer service is important to us, but it also provides an excellent opportunity to be productive, to explore health careers, to learn new skills, and to help the community.
NYC Health + Hospitals/Elmhurst does not offer volunteer positions involving direct patient care as volunteers are not permitted to touch patients. Additionally, there are no shadowing opportunities available.
Requirements for Volunteers:
- Volunteers must be 16 years of age or older at the time of application. We accept 14 and 15 years old students during their summer vacation
- We ask volunteers to commit to a minimum of four hours per week, with no less than two hours per day and a minimum of 100 hours total. Volunteers are required to maintain a regular schedule, working on at the same time, every week
- Social Security Number
- Medical Clearance
- Flu Vaccine (during flu season)
- Background Check
- Two References
- Working Paper (Under 18 years)
- Notarized Medical Emergency Form (Under 18 years)
- Additional documents for high school students will be given to the applicant at the time of the interview.
The Department of Volunteer Services coordinates the placement of volunteers throughout the hospital.
The following are a few departments where volunteers can work:
- Admitting Department
- Ambulatory Surgery
- Ambassador Program (Meet, greet and assist patients and families)
- Cancer Patient Support
- Emergency Department
- Inpatient (Visiting patients and providing non-clinical support)
- Outpatient (Lobby rounds, clerical support, stock supplies)
- Patient Advocacy
- Patient Transport
- Pharmacy Department
- Physical & Occupational Therapy
- Radiology Transport
- Special Programs (Healthy Outlook & After School Programs)
- Spiritual Care Department
Volunteering Application Process
- Fill out our Volunteer Assessment Survey form online and email it to EHCVOLSERV@nychhc.org or come in person.
- After review of the survey, you will be contacted via e-mail to schedule an interview. Due to the volume of applicants, we will not be able to find a volunteer position for everyone. If your interests, time and qualifications matches any of our volunteer opportunities, we will get in touch with you within one week. Otherwise, we will retain your information for three months and if no match is found, your information will be deleted.
- Your medical and other documents must be completed within six weeks from the date of your interview. Your information will be deleted if no activity was found after six weeks.
Summer High School Student Volunteer
High school students interested in volunteering during their summer vacation should call the office for more information. Our summer program for high school students runs from the first week of July to mid-August.
For additional information, please contact the Volunteer Department at 718-334-5175.