Parents-to-be often have a variety of concerns about labor and delivery and parenting. Our childbirth education classes focus on the well-being and safety of the mother and baby.
Parents-to-be often have concerns regarding pregnancy, labor and delivery, and parenting. The purpose of the Lamaze program at NYC Health + Hospitals/Elmhurst is to:
- Enhance the well-being of expectant parents.
- Increase involvement in the childbearing process.
- Provide anticipatory guidance for parenting.
- Introduce breathing/relaxation techniques and comfort measures/ coping strategies to improve the childbearing experience.
- Provide anticipatory guidance to enhance the well-being and safety of the mother and baby.
- Encourage bonding between the expectant mother, her partner, family and the newborn.
- Provide options for the expectant mother/her coach in selecting their preferences for childbearing (a birthing plan).
- Promote positive interaction and communication between the patient/family and the healthcare providers.
- Encourage the development of parenting skills and provide support and guidance in the ongoing adjustment to the role of parenting.
Classes are only open to pre-natal patients currently registered and expected to deliver at NYC Health + Hospitals/Elmhurst. There is no fee to participate. For further information, please call.