NYC Health + Hospitals/Elmhurst staff understand how family and friends are an important part of the patient’s healing and emotional wellness. Therefore, family and caregivers are welcome at any time during the patient’s stay in the Hospital, Emergency Department or Outpatient/Clinic areas. The Hospital has no visiting restriction or limitation and does not otherwise deny visitation privileges based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or disability. Please keep in mind, however, that patients need rest and quiet surroundings, so short visits are recommended. We ask that you observe the following when visiting our patients:
- Our patients have the right to designate a family member/caregiver who may stay with the patient during their hospitalization.
- Our patients have the right to decide if they wish to accept visits while at Elmhurst and can designate who may visit them during their stay.
- To better care for our patients and to respect the privacy and needs of other patients, we suggest that no more than two visitors are at the bedside at any one time. Special circumstances are always considered. Please speak with the nurse caring for the patient.
- At times, in order to perform certain procedures, we may need to limit the number of visitors, or ask visitors to temporarily leave a patient’s room, to better care for our patients. Limits on visiting will be reasonable and based on the patient’s medical condition, and will be explained to the patient and visitor.
- The Hospital shall accommodate one parent/guardian to stay with a pediatric patient at the bedside, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, to support their child and integrate with the health care team.
- We recommend that visitors who are not feeling well (such as coughing, sneezing, fever) reschedule a visit when feeling better.
- Visits after 10:00 p.m. require the visitor to check-in at the Security Desk by the elevators in the Hospital’s Main Lobby in order to maintain a safe environment.
- Children under 12 years of age are welcome to visit if they are supervised by an adult, other than the patient, while visiting at the hospital. For children visiting Critical Care areas, patients on Isolation Precautions, Labor & Delivery, and PACU, please speak with the nurse caring for the patient first, as this will be assessed on a case by case basis.
For more information, please read the Welcoming Guide for Care Givers.