Training & Supervision
The MHSC Training program provides ongoing opportunities to learn and become proficient in using evidence-based practices and other treatment frameworks.
Why evidence-based practices?
Evidence-based practices (EBPs) provide clinicians with specific skills to address challenging behavioral health needs. Providing training on multiple EBPs ensures that Corps Members can be flexible in their treatment approaches to meet the diverse clinical needs of their patients. This contributes to increased access to high quality behavioral health care for underserved communities across New York City.
Over the course of their 3-year employment with MHSC, Corps Members receive training in the following EBPs:
- Motivational Interviewing (MI)
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT)
Corps Members also receive training on special populations and treatment frameworks such as:
- Anti-oppressive practices
- Trauma-informed care
- Culturally responsive care
- Collaborative Care
- Substance use disorder treatment approaches
- LGBTQ healthcare
Training & Supervision Structure
Training on each evidence-based practice takes place over the course of 6 months with opportunities to learn in a number of ways.
|– Large group EBP training led by content area experts.
|– Small groups training meetings led by skilled MHSC trainers to practice EBP skills using role plays, case reviews, didactive learning exercises, and coaching. – Supplemental training videos and tips sheets. – Live Speaker Series led by content area experts.
|– Small group clinical supervision to review cases and consult with peers.
|– Individual clinical supervision to review cases and receive 1-on-1 training, review, and practice of EBP skills.
Graduation and Professional Development
Corps Members nearing the end of their time with MHSC will be provided with additional professional development training and resources:
- LCSW licensure prep in collaboration with National Association of Social Workers (NASW-NYC)
- Clinical career advancement topics (reflective supervision, EBP-skill refinement, etc.)
- Workforce development topics (resume-writing, networking, etc.)
- Support with post-MHSC job exploration within NYC Health + Hospitals and beyond.