Mental Health Service Corps (MHSC)
MHSC is 3-year workforce development program of the Mayor’s Office of Community Mental Health that aims to build a diverse generation of early career social workers who are trained to integrate behavioral health strategies and interventions into a variety of settings. MHSC Social Workers, called Corps Members, receive training and supervision in evidence-based and patient responsive modalities which they utilize in clinical settings at NYC Health + Hospitals facilities throughout the 5 boroughs.
Diverse Placement Opportunities
Corps Members are placed throughout the NYC Health + Hospitals system in behavioral health and primary care settings. Hiring occurs on a rolling basis so we encourage those interested to apply regardless of site or population preference.
Corps Members placed in behavioral health settings perform a diverse range of tasks based on the settings in which they work. They are important members of care teams across the spectrum of behavioral health services offered at NYC Health + Hospitals. Setting types include:
- Adult and child/adolescent outpatient clinics
- Intensive outpatient clinics
- Chemical dependency clinics
- Mobile crisis teams
- Partial Hospitalization Program
- Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Programs
Corps Members placed in primary care clinics work within the Collaborative Care model, integrating behavioral health into primary care. The goal of Collaborative Care is to meet patients where they are; providing access to behavioral health care within a patient’s primary care practice. Corps Members in these settings work as part of an interdisciplinary care team providing care to patients suffering from common mental health conditions frequently diagnosed in primary care such as like depression and anxiety. Setting types include:
- Adult and pediatric/adolescent primary care
- HIV services
- Women’s health
Desired Qualifications – MHSC Social Worker
- Ideal position for early career social workers who are interested in primary care and/or behavioral health settings
- Valid NYS LMSW required
- Bilingual, Spanish-speaking preferred
- Commitment to learning and practicing new skills
- Commitment to completing the 3-year MHSC training program
For a list of our current Corps Member vacancies and complete job descriptions, please visit our Job Opportunities page.