NYC Health + Hospitals/Metropolitan provides both inpatient and outpatient surgical care, depending on the patient’s needs. We care for patients with conditions ranging from burns and wounds to tumors, ulcers, and traumas. Our qualified staff is engaged in activities which will allow us to offer the latest technologies to our patients.
Our Department of Surgery offers services in the following subspecialties:
- General Surgery
- Colorectal Surgery
- Thoracic Surgery
- Hepatobiliary Surgery
- Hand Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Advanced Laparoscopic & Bariatric Surgery
- Podiatric Surgery
The Department of Surgery participates in the New York Medical College, New York College of Podiatric Medicine Student education program, and the Touro College Physician Assistant student education program. Since all of our attending surgeons also teach, and some conduct research, we keep current on new developments in medical and surgical science. Their close supervision also ensures that patients receive the best possible care.
In addition to offering the traditional procedures that our respective specialties typically offer, the following are some highlights of cutting-edge care available to Metropolitan patients:
- Minimally invasive breast surgery is now available with the advent of a Sterotactic Breast biopsy system and Ultrasound Guided core needle biopsy. This minimally invasive modality has allowed for the early detection of both malignant and benign breast disease without the need for sedation/analgesia and large incisions.
- The Bariatric Surgery Program services the community offering patients Laparoscopic Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy as a surgical option in the treatment of morbid obesity.
- We have a new technique of coblation which decreases postoperative pain and increases patient satisfaction. Also we are one of the only centers in the area to offer auditory brainstem response under general anesthesia.
- In addition to colonoscopy screening as recommended by the American Cancer Society, we offer repair of everything from troublesome hemorrhoids to the advanced treatment of colorectal cancer.
- Plastics and Hand Surgery offers a range of cosmetic surgery to craniofacial reconstruction and breast reconstruction after malignancy.
- From minimally invasive video assisted surgery to open thoracic procedures with new muscle sparing incisions, patients have a quicker recovery time.
Vascular surgery for the advanced treatment of varicose and spider veins.