NYC Health + Hospitals recognizes that the chronic health issues of homeless individuals cannot be treated without stable housing.
Our Housing for Health initiative was created to move patients experiencing homelessness into permanent housing to improve their health and wellbeing.
Read Jesus’s journey from homelessness to an apartment in Queens
Annually, nearly 6% of patients, or approximately 40,000 New Yorkers, are unstably housed and experiencing homelessness.
NYC Health + Hospitals has developed several initiatives to improve health care access for these vulnerable patients, while increasing pathways to temporary and permanent housing.
Housing is fundamental to good health. Patients with chronic conditions cannot manage their condition without a safe and stable place to live. Housing for Health is our investment in these patients’ health outside of the hospital walls: to a safe, stable place to live so they can focus on their health.
Mitch Katz, MDPresident & CEO, NYC Health + Hospitals
- Housing Navigation Services for patients experiencing homelessness
- On-Site Support Social Services in permanent housing to help patients stabilize and thrive in their new home
- Medical Respite beds for patients who need temporary housing to stabilize after a major health episode
- Affordable and Supportive Housing development on H+H Land
- Strategic Collaboration with City and State housing and homelessness agencies
- NYC Health + Hospitals provides temporary housing, from 30 to 90 day stays, for our medically vulnerable patients experiencing homelessness who are medically cleared to discharge from a facility, but still require access to care not available in shelter.
- Respite services allow patients to rest, recover, and heal in a safe environment after a major health episode.
- Respite provides holistic care coordination, medically-tailored meals, and access to wound care and physical therapy services on-site. Respite patients also receive intensive housing case management support with the goal of permanent housing placement post-respite stay.
The NYC Health + Hospitals Housing for Health Initiative is supported by strategic partnerships with community based organizations, affordable housing developers, and city agencies including:
NYC Department of Housing Preservation and Development
NYC Housing Development Corporation
NYC Department of Social Services
For program inquiries, please contact us at: RxHousing@nychhc.org