Pre-exposure prophylaxis, or PrEP, is a safe and effective daily pill that can greatly reduce your risk of HIV infection. Men or women can take PrEP to prevent HIV and stay healthy. PrEP is much more effective at stopping HIV if you take it every day.
To get started on PrEP, talk to your regular doctor or nurse. Call 1-844-692-4692 for an appointment at any of our NYC Health + Hospitals locations.
You should consider taking PrEP if you:
- Do not always use condoms during sex
- Recently had a sexually transmitted infection (STI)
- Have more than one sexual partner
- Have a partner who has sex with other partners
- Have a partner who has HIV and a detectable or unknown viral load
- Are trying to conceive with a partner who has HIV
- Have a partner who refuses to get an HIV test
- Inject drugs or have a partner who injects drugs
PrEP for Women
PrEP is an effective HIV prevention option for women when taken daily.
- PrEP can protect women who are trying to conceive a child with an HIV-positive partner.
- PrEP is safe for the parent and child both during and after pregnancy and has not been shown to affect fertility.
PrEP is covered by Medicaid and most health insurance plans
- If you do not have insurance or have a high co-pay, you may be eligible for a patient assistance program that helps pay for PrEP.
- Immigration status does not affect your ability to get PrEP and get other HIV prevention and HIV care.