Palliative care provides specialized care to relieve discomfort and pain, reduce difficulties and help with making decisions.
NYC Health + Hospitals understands that serious illness sometimes requires careful reflection on what life choices to make. That’s why we make palliative and hospice care available for patients who have a chronic and advanced illness that requires complex treatment.
- Palliative care provides an extra layer of support for patients and their families facing serious illness; it can be provided at any stage of illness, in various settings and alongside treatments such as surgery, chemotherapy and radiation.
- Hospice care is palliative care for patients who are likely to be closer to the end of life, with a prognosis of six months or less. It is care focused on comfort and quality of life provided by a team in the patient’s home or in a facility.
How We Care for You
Our compassionate palliative care providers make a real difference in the lives of patients and families. Palliative care provides extra care based on four principles:
- Comfort: Palliative care specialists understand how to treat pain and symptoms from serious illness.
- Support: Our palliative care teams have social workers and chaplains to address spiritual and emotional needs.
- Dignity: Palliative care teams support dignity and respect for patients’ values and goals.
- Hope: The palliative care team helps patients and families focus on what is most important so they can live their lives to the fullest within the limits of their disease.
NYC Health + Hospitals provides high-quality health care to all New Yorkers, regardless of their ability to pay. We’ll also help you find health insurance if you need it. Click here to learn more about MetroPlusHealth, our affordable and comprehensive health insurance plan.
NYC Health + Hospitals provides palliative care at our hospitals and neighborhood health centers. We have full wellness teams in every borough with extended hours that fit your busy schedule, dedicated to serving you and your family from the very first visit. Learn more about our extended hours.