Quick Tips for Healthier Recipes
Many of our tried and true dishes derive from the kitchens of our childhood. Sometimes our favorite dishes come with a heavy price tag: our health. Consider making these small adjustments to switch up your favorite recipes for a healthier twist.
1. Fill Half Your Plate With Fruits and Vegetables:
2. Keep Fried Foods To a Minimum. If You are Making a Main Dish, Try Baking Instead of Frying.
- Food that is typically deep fried can be coated with breadcrumbs and baked.
- Steamed vegetables and dumplings can be baked in a bamboo steamer.
- Fried dough recipes can easily be baked instead of fried by baking the items in a preheated 400 degree F oven until the dough has become golden and toasty.
3. Adapt Recipes By Cutting Back On Gravies, Creams, and Sauces. Stick to low-fat yogurt, milk, and cheese.
4. Choose whole grain foods like brown rice or whole wheat pasta.
5. Read the labels on food products. Look for low-sodium and low-salt options.
6. When Baking, Use Pureed Fruits Like Apple Sauce or Bananas Instead of Butter or Oil.
For every cup of oil in your recipe
Reduce cook time to
1 cup oil
1 cup of mashed banana
Reduce baking time by about 25 percent, to prevent the food from becoming tough and rubbery.
1 cup oil
3/4 cup unsweetened, unflavored applesauce
Reduce oven temperature by 25 degrees and reduce baking time by 5-10 minutes to prevent drying out.
7. Tweak Desserts to Include More Fruit.
8. Is Your Recipe Heavy On Sugar and/or Salt? Spice It Up! Get Creative With Spices and Herbs Instead.
|For every cup of oil in your recipe||Try||Reduce cook time to|
|1 cup oil||1 cup of mashed banana||Reduce baking time by about 25 percent, to prevent the food from becoming tough and rubbery.|
|1 cup oil||3/4 cup unsweetened, unflavored applesauce||Reduce oven temperature by 25 degrees and reduce baking time by 5-10 minutes to prevent drying out.|
The combinations are endless, but one great alternative mix instead of salt:
2 tablespoons black pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 bay leaf, ground
One great alternative mix instead of sugar:
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Need nutrition counseling? Find an NYC Health + Hospitals patient care location near you.