6 Tricks to Portion ControlDiet, Food & FitnessWeight Loss & Obesity
Not losing weight like you had hoped? Follow these portion control tips to cut calories.
- Think about the meal and snack sizes that you are used to. See if you can reduce the amount that you eat and still feel full.
- Choose less. Have a smaller bowl of cereal, one egg instead of two, half a sandwich instead of a whole, or a single serving snack pack instead of a big bag.
- Fill up on large portions of vegetables.
- Before you begin eating, set aside a portion of your meal to save for tomorrow.
- Restaurant portions can be huge. Save money and eat less by having an appetizer and a veggie side dish instead of an entrée.
- Know your serving sizes: Baseball = 1 cup cereal, milk or veggies. Computer mouse = ½ cup pasta, beans or sliced fruit.
- Take control of your weight. Call an NYC Health + Hospitals health care system hospital or health center in your area to ask about weight management programs and support groups.