NYC Health + Hospitals established the Behavioral Health Loan Repayment Program (BH4NYC) to support our behavioral health professionals. As the largest provider of mental health and substance use services in New York City, NYC Health + Hospitals is strengthening its commitment to its workforce. Recognizing that many behavioral health professionals are burdened by student loan debt, BH4NYC will provide grants to clinicians who meet the eligibility criteria. This program was started with funds from generous donors.
- Psychiatric Physician Assistants
- Psychiatric Nurse Practitioners
- Licensed Clinical Psychologists
- Licensed Clinical Social Workers
- Licensed Creative Art Therapists
- Nurses working in Behavioral Health Settings
- Eligible applicants must commit to working a minimum 3 years full-time at NYC Health + Hospitals.
- Physicians will be eligible for a maximum of $50,000 in loan forgiveness.
- Non-physician clinicians will be eligible for a maximum of $30,000 in loan forgiveness.
- We accept applications on a rolling basis with two annual application deadlines: March 1 and September 1.
- Are employed full-time at NYC Health + Hospitals
- Graduated from a relevant degree program—including those from outside the United States (programs must be accredited by your discipline’ s Commission).
- Are licensed and/or board-certified within 5 years of completing training.
- Are in good standing with your clinical discipline’s licensing body, earning Satisfactory or above satisfactory employee evaluations (e.g. Ongoing Professional Performance Evaluation)
- Are committed to working full-time for NYC Health + Hospitals for at least 3 years after receiving your first BH4NYC award.
- Are a physician with a minimum of $50,000 in school loan debt.
- Are a non-physician clinician with a minimum of $30,000 school loan debt.
- Are not participating in or receiving loan forgiveness from another source, with the exception of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
- Have never received loan forgiveness or repayment through employment from NYC Health + Hospitals.
- Are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien holding an I-155 or I-551 card.
How Do I Apply?
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and are reviewed in two rounds:
- Fall/winter deadline: March 1
- Spring/Summer deadline: September 1