NYC Health + Hospitals established the $1 million Behavioral Health Loan Repayment Program (BH4NYC) to support our behavioral health professionals. As the largest provider of mental health and substance use services in New York City, NYC Health + Hospitals is strengthening its commitment to its workforce. Recognizing that many behavioral health professionals are burdened by student loan debt, BH4NYC will provide grants to clinicians who meet the eligibility criteria. This program was started with funds from a generous leadership donor.
- Psychiatric PAs
- Psychiatric Nurse Practitioners (Psych NPs)
- Licensed Clinical Psychologists
- Licensed Clinical Social Workers
- Eligible applicants must commit to working a minimum 3 years full-time at NYC Health + Hospitals.
- Physicians will be eligible for a maximum of $50,000 in loan forgiveness.
- Non-physician clinicians will be eligible for a maximum of $30,000 in loan forgiveness.
- The program ends when we reach $1 million in total loans forgiven.
- This program is limited to 1 year.
- We begin accepting applications July 1, 2022. (See application details below)
- Graduated from a relevant degree program—including those from outside the United States. (Programs accredited by your discipline’ s Commission)
- Are licensed and/or board-certified within 5 years of completing training. Board certification requirement might be waived in some cases.
- Are in good standing with your clinical discipline’s licensing body.
- Are committed to working full-time for NYC Health + Hospitals for at least 3 years.
- Are a physician with a minimum of $50,000 in school loan debt.
- Are a non-physician clinician with a minimum of $30,000 school loan debt.
- Are not participating in or receiving loan forgiveness from another source.
- Have never received loan forgiveness or repayment through employment from NYC Health + Hospitals.
- Are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien holding an I-155 or I-551 card.
- Employed full-time at NYC Health + Hospitals.
- Satisfactory or above satisfactory employee evaluations (e.g. Ongoing Professional Performance Evaluation)
- Completed all required annual trainings and in-service modules.
- No substantiated performance-related or disciplinary issues in the previous 12 months.
How Do I Apply?
Applications are now open! Applications are accepted in two rounds July 25, 2022 – November 25, 2022 and January 1, 2023 – May 1, 2023 for current employees and reviewed the second and last Friday of each month for new applicants. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Complete the form and we will contact you when the application window opens on July 25.