2022 Cerebrovascular/STROKE Program Public Outcomes Report
The Cerebrovascular/Stroke Program at NYC Health + Hospitals/Elmhurst has been recognized for several years in a row for our commitment to providing excellent care to our patients. Elmhurst’s Stroke Program is a recipient of the American Heart Association’s/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke Gold Plus, Target: Stroke Elite Plus, & Target: Type 2 Diabetes Honor Roll awards and the hospital has been certified by The Joint Commission as Primary Stroke Center, with ongoing plans to undergo Joint Commission certification to become a Thrombectomy Capable Stroke Center
We treat about 500 stroke patients every year. We offer variety of treatments for Acute Ischemic Stroke including ‘clot-busting’ thrombolytic therapy ( “tPA”) or mechanical thrombectomy, which is a treatment that can reopen a blocked blood vessel in a stroke patient with medical devices.
As of December 2020, the center has inaugurated a state-of-the-art hybrid stroke suite capable of treating the most severe form of strokes, called large vessel occlusion, using the latest thrombectomy technologies.
We have a dedicated team of board-certified stroke neurologists, endovascular neurosurgeons, neurocritical care specialists, emergency medicine physicians, as well as, a nursing staff and a team of physician extenders and technologists trained to the highest calibers to take care of the most complex cerebrovascular patients.
We use evidenced-based tools to track and measure our success in treating patients and improving patient outcomes. In addition, we have excellent patient outcomes based on the following features of our program:
- Nationally, the target time for door-to-tPA treatment in a facility is 60 minutes. At Elmhurst we treat patients faster than many other New York State hospitals.
- 100% of our stroke patients who present to our Emergency Department and are eligible for thrombolytic treatment – receive this treatment.
- 100% of patients who are diagnosed with Stroke caused by Large Vessel Occlusion and are eligible for thrombectomy treatment – receive that treatment.
- Elmhurst Hospital and Sinai Affiliated Physicians use highly effective medical devices and novel techniques that result in restoration of blood flow to the brain. We are able to restore that blood flow in more than 90% percent of people who undergo this procedure consistently (post procedure reperfusion grade).
- Our Stroke Measure in area Timeliness of Reperfusion: Door to Skin Puncture is at New York State level as our benchmark.
- In 2021, 100% of our Ischemic Stroke patients were discharged from Elmhurst on an antithrombotic regimen. Antithrombotic such as aspirin are medications that help keep the blood thin and less likely to form clots. They are extremely important to prevent recurrent strokes in the future.
- We offer patient-centered care and remain continuously focused on improving the patient experience. We work closely with the Mount Sinai Network to offer novel and unique stroke treatment technologies to our ethnically and economically diverse community.
- If you have questions about Cerebrovascular/Stroke Care services at NYC Health + Hospitals/Elmhurst, or to make an appointment, please call 718 334-2792.