Getting tested for COVID-19 is as important as ever, and New York City has many sites offering COVID-19 testing at no cost to you, including NYC Health + Hospitals and other city-run testing sites.
All New Yorkers Should Get Tested
NYC Health + Hospitals offers testing at hospitals, health centers, community-based sites and mobile units across the five boroughs. Just walk in – no appointment needed!
If you took a PCR test at an NYC Health + Hospitals location, your result will be available in 24 to 72 hours.
Tests Are at No Cost to You
COVID-19 tests are available at no cost to you. Remember, you do not need health insurance to get a COVID-19 test at an NYC Health + Hospitals location or at many other testing sites across the city. If you have insurance, however, please bring your insurance card so that othe insurance plan can be billed. You will not need to pay any copay or co-insurance.
NYC Health + Hospitals testing sites will never ask about immigration status.
- For immunocompromised New Yorkers and those ages 65 and older, at-home testing is available. To schedule an appointment, call (929) 298-9400 between 9:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., seven days a week.
- If you’re using at-home test kits, check out the NYC Health Department COVID-19: Testing page for tips, instructional videos and information on how to get free tests. Then visit the NYC Test & Trace COVID-19 Resource page for important information on what to do based on your results, or try out our COVID-19 Quarantine and Isolation Guidance Tool.
- You can also use our handy “Tips for Performing an At-Home Test” guide
Other Testing Options
- Text “COVID TEST” to 855-48 to find a no-cost testing site near you
- Make an appointment for a no-cost rapid test at an NYC Health Department COVID Express site
- Call the NYC Test & Trace Corps Hotline at 212-COVID19 (212-268-4319) and press 1 after selecting your language
- Speak with your health care provider
- If you do not have a health care provider, you can call NYC Health + Hospitals at 844-NYC-4NYC (844-692-4692) or 311 for help finding one. You can also schedule a virtual visit with an NYC Health + Hospitals provider by visiting ExpressCare and clicking on “Talk to a Doctor Now,” or by calling the NYC Test & Trace Corps Hotline at 212-COVID19 (212-268-4319) and pressing 2 after selecting your language.
While You Wait for Results
You’ll generally receive test results in 24 to 72 hours if you got a PCR test at an NYC Health + Hospitals location. Results may take longer at other sites.
While you wait for results, it’s important to continue taking all the necessary steps to protect yourself and others:
- Stay home if you’re sick – Only leave for essential medical care and testing or other essential errands
- Keep physical distance – Stay at least 6 feet away from other people
- Wear a mask – You can be contagious without symptoms. Protect those around you by wearing a well-fitting mask.
- Keep your hands clean – Wash your hands often with soap and water or use hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available
If You Test Positive
If you test positive, we want to make sure you know what to do next — how long to isolate, notifying close contacts and more. You can find this information in the What to do if you test positive section of our COVID-19 Resources page. Or you can try out our COVID-19 Quarantine and Isolation Guidance Tool for personalized guidance. After you answer a few short questions, the tool will let you know what isolation guidance you should follow based on your specific circumstances, such as whether or not you have symptoms.
You may also receive a text from NYC Test & Trace letting you know where to find online guidance and resources to assist you during your isolation period. Texts will come from 844-641-1568.