NYC Health + Hospitals gives thousands of school-age children the health care services they urgently need. We try to make it easy for children to get health care, because sometimes it’s difficult for parents to take time off of work to bring children in for check-ups or shots or because there are no local pediatricians available. NYC Health + Hospitals fills the time and availability gap so children stay healthy.
NYC Health + Hospitals helps parents care for their children by providing high-quality primary and preventive care services to 21 schools in Brooklyn, Manhattan and Queens. The whole family benefits when children are healthy, because it reduces the time caregivers need to take off of work to care for a sick child. When children receive health care at an early age, they’re more likely to take care of themselves and make sure they go for regular check-ups when they’re adults.
NYC Health + Hospitals fills the gap of limited access to children’s health care by:
- Giving students easy access to health care
- Promoting good physical and mental health
- Improving school attendance and performance
- Reducing visits to the emergency room
- Preventing hospitalizations
- Lowering medical expenses
How We Care for You
All children with a school-based health center are eligible for health care services. Our health centers offer scheduled or walk-in appointments during school hours to serve students’ health care needs. A 24-hour telephone hotline is always available when the centers are closed.
All school-based health centers provide:
- Free primary and preventive care
- Physical examinations
- Working papers and sports physicals
- Screenings for vision, asthma, obesity, tuberculosis and other conditions
- Treatment for chronic illnesses
- Prescribing and dispensing medications
- First aid care
- Emergency care
- Parent and guardian health education
- Risk-reduction education
- Special needs health care referrals
Additional services are provided at certain schools:
- Reproductive and sexual health services (in high schools)
- Mental health care
- Eye exams
- Dental care
For a full list of services, click here.
NYC Health + Hospitals provides high-quality health care to all New Yorkers, regardless of their ability to pay. We’ll also help you find health insurance if you need it. Click here to learn more about MetroPlusHealth, our affordable and comprehensive health insurance plan.
NYC Health + Hospitals provides excellent school-based care free of charge at 21 schools in Brooklyn, Manhattan and Queens. We have a full wellness team dedicated to your children from their very first visit.