Service Excellence in Action
NYC Health + Hospitals/Lincoln is renowned for its centers of excellence, and is a recognized industry leader in the implementation of services and programs that provide outstanding clinical care, state-of-the art technology and best practices. Lincoln has received numerous awards and recognitions. Our successes reflect the work of our dedicated and highly competent team of clinicians, administrators and employees. Allow us to share some highlights of these achievements.
- The Cancer Center was awarded a three year accreditation with commendation by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer.
- The Breast Center received a three year full accreditation by the American College of Surgeons National
Accreditation Program for Breast Centers.
- The Joint Commission names NYC Health + Hospitals/Lincoln as a 2013 “Top Performer on Key Quality Measures” in four important fields of patient care: heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia and surgical care. The designation recognizes hospitals for improving performance on medical interventions that increase the chance for positive outcomes for patients with certain conditions. Only 45 of the 160 hospitals in New York State (28 percent) that submitted data to The Joint Commission for 2013 achieved top performer designation in any area.
- American Heart Association/American Stroke Association (AHA/ASA): Lincoln received two significant recognitions from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association (AHA/ASA) for the successful implementation of higher standards of stroke care, aimed at reducing death and disability, and improving the lives of stroke patients. Presented to the hospital for the third consecutive year, the Gold Plus Performance Achievement Award is an advanced level of recognition that acknowledges hospitals for their compliance with the Get With The Guidelines® nationally accepted standards and quality measures.
- American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s “Honor Roll”: Lincoln was included, for the third time, in the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s “Honor Roll” for timely administration of clot-busting (thrombolytic) therapy within 60 minutes of a patient’s arrival to the hospital. A thrombolytic, or clot busting agent, when administered in a timely manner is the best available treatment for ischemic stroke. If given intravenously in the first three hours after the start of stroke symptoms, it has been shown to significantly reverse the effects of stroke and reduce permanent disability.
- New Emergency Department: Lincoln completed a major modernization and expansion of its Emergency Department (ED). The new and expanded ED, which is the busiest single site emergency room in the region with 177,000 visits each year, includes larger adult, pediatric, psychiatric and fast track areas. Asthma treatment areas are more spacious, and the additional trauma bays enable clinicians to effectively manage multiple traumas. The new 34,200 square footage improves patient flow and comfort.
- Awarded For Excellence In Lactation Care: Lincoln was recognized for excellence in lactation care from the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners (IBLCE) and the International Lactation Consultant Association (ILCA). Facilities that receive the IBCLC Care Award are commended for improving maternal and child health by making breastfeeding a priority and for taking steps to improve breastfeeding support. Lincoln also provides breastfeeding training for medical staff that care for new families and have recently completed activities that help protect, promote and support breastfeeding.
- Awarded American College of Radiology Accreditation: NYC Health + Hospitals/Lincoln was awarded a three-year term of accreditation in:
- Computed Tomography (2014-2017)
- Mammography (2013-2016)
- Stereotactic Core Biopsy (2014-2017)
- Breast Ultrasound/Breast Ultrasound Biopsy (2013-2016)
- Nuclear Medicine (2013-2016)
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (2013-2016)
The ACR gold seal of accreditation is awarded only to facilities that have voluntarily undergone rigorous evaluation of image quality, personnel qualifications, adequacy of facility equipment, and effectiveness of quality control procedures. The ACR gold seal of accreditation is awarded only to facilities meeting ACR Practice Guidelines and Technical Standards after a peer-review evaluation by board-certified physicians and medical physicists who are experts in the field. ACR accreditation represents the highest level of image quality and patient safety.
- The ACR designated Lincoln as a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence: Breast Imaging Centers receive this recognition only after achieving accreditation in mammography, stereotactic breast biopsy, and breast ultrasound (including ultrasound-guided breast biopsy). These two designations highlight the Department of Radiology’s dedication and ongoing commitment to providing our patients with excellent medical care in a patient safe environment.
- NYC Health + Hospitals/Lincoln was presented with the 2012 Outstanding Achievement Award by the American College of Surgeons’ (ACS) Commission on Cancer (CoC). Lincoln is one of a select group of only 79 U.S. health care facilities with accredited cancer programs to receive this national honor for surveys performed last year. The award acknowledges cancer programs that achieve excellence in providing quality care to cancer patients. Our cancer program was evaluated on 29 program standards categorized within one of four cancer program activity areas: cancer committee leadership, cancer data management, clinical services and quality improvement. Our program was further evaluated on eight commendation standards. To be eligible, all award recipients must have received commendation ratings in seven commendation standards, in addition to receiving a compliance rating for each of the 29 other standards.
- Get With The Guidelines Stroke Gold Plus Quality Award: The American Heart Association and American Stroke Association awarded Lincoln the Get With The Guidelines Stroke Gold Plus Quality Award. The Plus Award is an advanced level of recognition that acknowledges Lincoln for its compliance with the Quality Measures within the Get With The Guidelines-Stroke Program, and it recognizes Lincoln’s commitment and success in implementing a higher standard of stroke care for consecutive 12 month intervals.
- NICHE Designation: Lincoln achieved the Nurses Improving Care for Healthsystem Elders (NICHE) designation, making Lincoln a senior-friendly medical center designed to meet the special needs of hospitalized older adults.
- Lincoln Integrated Wellness Center: Is an innovative program designed to provide primary care and behavioral health services for adult psychiatric patients in one location. The Center provides easy access to essential services in a dedicated patient-centered medical home. In addition to comprehensive medical services, the program promotes wellness, disease self-management education, linkage to community support services, referrals to specialty and subspecialty services, and coordination of transitional care.
- RESPIRAR Award: Bronx Regional Asthma Coalition, also known as RESPIRAR—a NYSDOH-funded quality improvement initiative headed by Lincoln, received the first ever “Best Overall Coalition” Award at the 2013 New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) Asthma Outcomes Learning Network in Albany for projects in the Pediatric General and Adult Asthma Clinics.
- Lincoln Diabetes Education Center of Excellence Accreditation: The NYC Health + Hospitals/Lincoln Diabetes Education Center of Excellence was accredited by the American Association of Diabetes Educators through their Diabetes Education Accreditation Program for a period of four years. This Center of Excellence provides our patients with diabetes education and self-management skills they can use in their daily lives.