NYC Health + Hospitals/Harlem promotes and supports a patient and family-centered approach to care. The facility is intended to be flexible in order to respond to the diverse and individual needs and preferences of each patient as well as to foster the safety of patients, families, and staff. Patients’ visitors are provided equal visitation privileges regardless of race, color, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, and any other legally protected classification.
Visitation is currently permitted on the following units:
- Critical Care: 2:00pm to 4:00pm
- Medical/Surgical units: 2:00pm to 4:00pm
- Behavioral Health Services: 2:30pm to 3:30pm
- CPEP: 3:30pm to 4:30pm
- Maternal Child Health (MCH) Units (Single- Bedded Rooms): 24 hours for 1 healthy parent, partner or spouse
- MOBA patients in double/ triple bedded rooms: 10:00am to 10:00pm
Hospital Visitation Guidelines:
Patients have the right to designate any visitors, including a spouse, domestic partner, including a same sex domestic partner, another family member, or a friend. NYC Health + Hospitals/Harlem does not restrict, limit, or otherwise deny visitation privileges based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, or disability. Patients may withdraw or deny consent to visitation to anyone at any time.
Patient Bill of Rights
- The patient/support person has the right to withdraw visitation consent, and will complete a Request for Additional Privacy Protection Form.
- The hospital may impose limitations on patient’s visitation rights in order to provide safe care to patients.
- These limitations may include but are not limited to:
- Infection control issues
- Visitation that may interfere with the care of other patients
- A court order limiting or restricting contact
- Behavior presenting a direct risk or threat to the patient/hospital staff/others
- Patient’s need for privacy or rest
- Need for privacy or rest by another individual in the patient’s shared room
- Substance abuse protocols requiring limited visitation
- Clinical intervention/procedure where the care provider believes it is in the patient’s best interest to limit visitation during the clinical intervention or procedure
- Reasonable limitations on the number of visitors at any one time
Visitation restrictions may be imposed on a particular patient, after the need has been identified, assessed, and documented.
- Only 1 visitor 18 years or older (except in rare exceptions as determined by the hospital) are allowed per day
- Visitation hours are from 2:00pm to 4:00pm (unless otherwise stated in this policy or authorized by the hospital, depending upon the patients status and condition)
- Visitors are limited to one person at a time unless at the facility’s discretion.
- Visitors are required to stop at the Intake Desk in the Lobby where they are screened for COVID and have a temperature check, and are required to sanitize their hands and will be provided a mask if they don’t already have one
- Visitors must provide ID and fill out the intake form for the Concierge Desk Associate
- Once the Visitor passes the COVID Screening, they are then issued a pass to visit by the Concierge Desk Associate
- The Concierge Desk Associate fills out the visitor information on an electronic format, and notes the patient being visited
- Once the patient arrives on the unit, they will be directed to the correct patient room
- Visitors are provided with and must wear appropriate personal protective equipment as recommended by the Department and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- They must sanitize their hands again before entering the room
- They must remain inside the patient room with a mask on for the duration of the visit except when directed by hospital staff to leave during aerosol-generating procedures or other procedures as determined by providers.
- At the end of the visit, the visitor must sanitize upon exiting the room
- Written/verbal information provided to visitors on potential risks and benefits of visiting, when possible, depending on patient’s condition with the patient.
- Hospital Police conducts Visitation Rounds at 4:00pm to let visitors know that visiting hours are now over
- Patients undergoing same day procedures may be accompanied to the facility by a companion and that companion may remain with the patient through the initial intake process; and may rejoin the patient for the discharge process. The companion must comply with COVID 19 screening requirement.
- Visitors may not be present during procedures and recovery room except for Pediatrics, childbirth, and patients with intellectual, developmental, or other cognitive disability.
For Visitors unable to visit physically, NYC Health +Hospitals/Harlem has provided access to FaceTime, Zoom or other virtual means to connect with a loved one.