Gouverneur thrives on the force of its volunteer team who make a huge difference in the lives of our patients, their families, and our staff.
Join our group of talented and generous men, women, and students who volunteer at Gouverneur each day, playing an integral part in our mission to provide high quality patient care. As a volunteer, you’re an important addition to the Gouverneur team. We rely on your enthusiasm. Whether you’re interested in working directly with patients or prefer to work behind-the-scenes, we will find the right position to fit your individual time schedule, abilities, and interests.
Things to Consider
From the very beginning of your experience as a Gouverneur volunteer, here are some important considerations to keep in mind:
- Volunteering is a commitment. Gouverneur requires a minimum commitment of three hours a week for at least three months. Exceptions to this policy are short-term assignments and outreach projects.
- A general orientation is required. At the orientation, you will become acquainted with the history, vision, and mission of Gouverneur and learn the importance of patient confidentiality, infection control, and fire safety.
- We require proof of a recent PPD (purified protein derivative) test for tuberculosis. If you have not had one in the last 10 months, we will be happy to provide it for you, at no cost, through our Employee Health Department.
- Juniors require a special application. Students, ages 16 to 17, are classified as junior volunteers and must fill out a junior volunteer application. Please call the Gouverneur Volunteer Services Department at complete the standard application. to request one. Adults, age 18 and over, can simply
- Your interview. An interview to discuss assignment availability, your schedule, and interests is required for all new volunteers. Please contact us at to schedule an appointment for your interview.