Tips for Preventing Back InjuriesPrevention
It’s important to listen to your body and know its limitations, especially in situations when your back is most vulnerable such as when bending, lifting, reaching, and twisting. Take a look at the following tips to keep your back healthy and strong.
Use Good Body Mechanics
- When lifting, keep your feet shoulder-width apart with one foot slightly ahead of the other.
- Squat down, bending at the hips and knees ONLY. Look straight ahead and keep your back straight the entire time.
- If turning, don’t twist. Turn your feet by taking small steps.
- Keep objects you are lifting as close to the body as possible, at the level of your belly button.
Load and unload at waist height.
- Load and unload at waist height.
- Ask for assistance when necessary.
Stay In Shape
- Maintain muscle strength, flexibility and normal weight.
Wear Appropriate Shoes
- Prolonged standing and walking on hard flooring puts stress on the back. Wear comfortable shoes that are good shock absorbers.
Maintain Good Posture
- Bad posture while sitting hours in front of computer or in the car can put added stress on your back. Your spine is properly aligned when it’s straight.
- If sitting at a desk all day, be sure your chair provides good back support and keep your feet flat on the floor. To improve back support in a chair, roll a towel or put a small pillow behind your lower back for added support.
Experiencing back pain? Find an NYC Health + Hospitals patient care location near you.