NYC Health + Hospitals/Bellevue has a distinguished history in the field of rehabilitation medicine. In 1947, Dr. Howard Rusk, the ‘Father of Rehabilitation Medicine’, and Dr. Howard Deaver, a leading expert in physical therapy, established the first non-military rehabilitation service in a general hospital at NYC Health + Hospitals/Bellevue. This tradition of ‘firsts’ continues today through our longstanding affiliation with the Rusk Institute of Rehabilitation Medicine. We offer inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation services and are a Center of Excellence for traumatic brain injury rehabilitation.
We offer outpatient rehabilitation services to individuals of all ages with injuries or other health related conditions that limit their ability to perform functional activities. The goal is to maximize function, improve mobility and independence and prevent further disabilities.
What clinics do we offer?
- General Rehabilitation Clinic
- Pediatric Rehabilitation Clinic
- Brain Injury Clinic
- Prosthetic, Orthotic and Wheelchair Clinic
- Acupuncture clinic
What common diagnoses do we treat?
- Musculoskeletal pain impacting on function
- Gait/Balance disorders
- Post-Orthopedic surgery
- Neurological conditions such as Brain Injury, Stroke, Multiple Sclerosis, Peripheral neuropathy, Parkinsons, Amputations
- Post-Surgery Lymphedema
What outpatient therapy services do we offer?
- Physical therapy, including specialty in Orthopedics, Neurology, Vestibular, Amputee, and Brain Injury
- Occupational therapy including specialty programs in Hand Therapy, Orthopedic protocols, Brain Injury program, Lymphedema management, Ergonomics, Low vision program, Perceptual/cognitive re-training, Upper Extremity retraining, wheelchair and seating evaluation, and Early Intervention
- Swallowing evaluations
NYC Health + Hospitals/Bellevue offers a variety of inpatient therapeutic services specifically tailored to the needs of each rehabilitation patient. Our modern facility is equipped with state-of-the-art therapy resources to help patients achieve their goals. In general, our inpatients will attend three or more hours of therapy a day, five days each week. Family members are invited to participate with their loved ones. Therapies include:
- Physical Therapy – Physical therapists help patients to improve their mobility. Exercises and treatments focus on improving strength, flexibility, balance, coordination, and mobility.
- Occupational Therapy – Occupational therapists help patients learn to take care of themselves after an injury or illness. Exercises and treatments focus on activities of daily living: eating, dressing, bathing, toileting, cooking, shopping, leisure, and community skills.
- Speech Therapy – Speech-Language Pathologists evaluate and treat disorders of speech, language, cognition, and swallowing. Treatments focus on improving function and on strategies to compensate for difficulties.
- Psychology Services – The psychology service provides emotional support to help individuals get the most out of their rehab medicine treatment, cope with changes, and plan for the future.
Traumatic Brain Injury Rehabilitation Center of Excellence
NYC Health + Hospitals/Bellevue is the only New York State-certified acute traumatic brain injury rehabilitation center within NYC Health + Hospitals. We provide comprehensive medical rehabilitation services to persons who have acquired physical and/or cognitive challenges due to brain injury.
Our newly remodeled and expanded unit features state-of-the-art equipment to assist individuals in attaining maximum physical, cognitive, psychosocial, educational, and vocational capabilities.
Our physicians are affiliated with NYU and are specially trained in the treatment of individuals with brain injuries. For inpatient referrals or outpatient services, contact the Brain Injury Service Transfer Coordinator at 212-562-3603, Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm.
What conditions do we treat?
- Traumatic brain injury (open and closed head injuries, diffuse axonal injury)
- Toxin induced brain injury
- Ischemic strokes
- Hemorrhagic strokes
- Neurovascular disorders
- Brain tumors
- Anoxic encephalopathy
- Altered levels of consciousness (Coma, Vegetative state, Minimally conscious state)
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Neuromuscular Disorders (Huntington’s disease, Parkinson’s disease)
- Post neurosurgical procedures
What services do we offer?
Our 24 bed inpatient unit and dedicated outpatient clinic offer:
- Board certified physiatrists
- Rehabilitation nursing
- Physical and occupational therapy
- Psychology and Neuropsychology
- Speech and swallow therapy
- Creative arts and activities therapy
- Low vision therapy
- Community re-entry program
- Social work
- Family and patient support groups
- Vestibular rehabilitation therapy
- Intense therapy for individuals with altered levels of consciousness
- Patient elopement prevention system
- Active partnership between NYC Health + Hospitals/Bellevue and NYU as part of the Traumatic Brain Injury Model System
- Weekly multi-disciplinary rounds on every individual to ensure proper attention to each individual’s needs and close communication among the outpatient treatment staff